Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ramping up again

Well, I've spent almost 2 weeks doing relatively little. I suppose that's not entirely true. I've had a few more beers than usual. Also, a few more desserts than usual. Hmmm, this could explain what's wrong with our bathroom scale.

I've been swimming a little but not much else. Finally made it back to bootcamp yesterday morning--felt great. Woke up a bit achy this morning but only when I move (and sneeze, and cough). Would it have killed me to do a few situps and pushups over the past couple of weeks?!

This morning was my first run. Nothing really worth blogging except that I was using this workout as a guide to make a go/no-go decision on the Denver Marathon in October. Although it wasn't a thing of beauty in terms of speed, form was good and I didn't have any real trouble maintaining for 80 minutes. Note to self: if you wake up at 500a and plan to start running at 815a, 715a is not the right time to start making a big pot of oatmeal. So other than a few vurps, I'm calling it a success (such as it is) and I registered for the marathon a few minutes ago.

Coach AJ has posted my training plan so here I go. I'm committed to becoming a decent runner sometime in the next year or so. This means some run-focused training. There will be complaining, plenty of tears, several aches and pains, and who knows what other mayhem along the way but I'm putting this in writing for all to witness--I will one day be a decent runner.

I know, I'm already a decent runner but Boulder is a terrible place to be a decent runner. I can only liken it to the way Carl Pavano of the New York Yankees must feel. Sure, he makes $11 million a year but he's below average for the team he's on. Okay, maybe I don't feel exactly the same as Carl, but if I'm digging into baseball stats for an analogy, you'll have to cut me a little slack.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Hey Dave! Thanks for the comment on my blog and for the well wishes for IMAZ! Boulder is more biker-friendly than Long Island, eh?!
;-) Great swimming with you... Good luck with the run training!