Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ride like a young, fast man

In early 2005, I did a ton of research then bit the bullet and bought a custom tri bike. I was concerned with getting onto a bike that was both perfect for me at the time and something I could grow with. I decided on a Serotta and spent hours getting fit and selecting components. I wanted something great, but not too flashy. I wasn't that fast back then and didn't want to look the poser as all the fast dudes passed me. I couldn't have been happier than I was with my steel (yup!) and carbon CXII CS. Here's a pic just before the maiden voyage--I think this was February or March of 2005.

Over the years, I've tinkered with a few things: new seatpost and saddle, new training and race wheels, a new aerobar setup. But I've left the bones of the bike intact as my riding skills and flexibility have improved. Chris at Pro Peloton designed the bike to grow with me as a rider. Little by little, I've adjusted the front end downward to achieve a better and better aero position. Here's what the bike looks like now (the latest adjustment was made today)--this is about as low as the front end will go on this bike (with a HED Vantage 8 aerobar and a down 17 degree stem). It's a little tough to see in the first pic, but notice the difference between the pictures in the drop from the saddle to the arm rests on the bars--I haven't changed my seat height.


So this is about the limit of what this bike can do for me in terms of aero. I look at it and think, "This is a young, fast man's setup. I can't ride this." We'll see. I've been making baby steps, getting stronger and more flexible over the years. It's been a long road but I'm finally at the full potential of the bike.

So many folks set up their bikes the way they see in the glossy advertisements for the rider they wish they were. Someday, I'll likely join the masses of folks who own sexy new monocoque, carbon fiber, faired frame, shielded rear wheel, hidden brake, slammed front end aerobikes but this bike is the real deal and I've never felt behind in the equipment arms race. I'm passing a lot of those sexy new bikes on race day, by the way.

I've always felt that being comfortable is way more important than being slammed down aero anyhow. And that's my secret weapon--now I have both. And believe me, I've earned it though thousands of miles of training my position and technique on the bike.

All that's left is to ride like a young, fast man.

No comments: