Monday, February 22, 2010

What kind of triathlete am I?

I finally got around to committing to my 2010 season.  After giving some serious thought to what I love about the sport, what I'm actually good at (and what I'm not), and my results from last season, I've been forced to wonder what it is about the longer distances that appeals to me.  I can't deny that I'm a swimmer, not a runner.

Cracking 5 hours at the half-Ironman distance last season was a huge goal realized, but I still have to take a lot of time (30+ minutes!) off my PR to be in the mix and considering the reality of my run right now--well, that's not going to happen right away.

Ironman excites me even less.  Racing just to finish isn't that interesting.  I could take an hour off my 11:53 PR and not even be close to a Kona slot.  Until I can marathon strong, I don't think this distance will be for me.

So Olympic it is.  I still have some work to do on my run (45 mins isn't going to cut it), but I'm closer here than anywhere else.  I can swim at the front, often lead my wave, and hold my own on the bike.  I'll focus on my 10k and see what happens.

Here's my schedule--all local:

5/23 Summer Open sprint
6/5 Boulder Sunrise Oly
6/26 Loveland Lake to Lake Oly
7/11 Boulder Peak Oly
8/7 Cherry Creek Streak Oly
8/15 Horsetooth 10k swim
9/11 Boulder Sunset Oly
10/10 Tri For Your Cause Sprint

My first year since 2004 without a HIM or longer.  Feels a little strange but I think it's the right call. I'll sprinkle in a Stroke & Stride 6-pack too. The Horsetooth swim will be a big challenge. A big season even without going long.

Come on out and race me!

No comments: