Sunday, August 15, 2010

Holy S...!! 10k is a long way!

Raced the Horsetooth 10k open water swim this morning.  What can I say?  That's a long way to swim.

When I registered in January, I had visions of training for this the right way.  Didn't quite make it, but put in more pool and reservoir miles this summer than I probably have in the past couple of years combined.  Despite coming in undertrained (my longest swim was 5k), I was relaxed and confident.

Race plan was simple: push the first k (to the point where I'd meet up with my paddlers, cruise to the halfway mark, build the next 3 k's and then ride the adrenaline home for the last 2 k's.

Pretty much stuck to plan.  Paddler rendezvous was closer to the start this year than in the past.  I set a nice, sustainable pace and the first hour simply flew by.  Very comfortable.  I picked it up at the halfway point and started reeling folks in.  Aside from the obvious "just finish" goal for my first race at this distance, I had a little side bet with my friend Alison (who is generally a little faster than I am).  I knew she'd start faster but I planned to let her go and then try to bring her back in the second half.  By 8k, I was could see her and was closing.

Then, I hit the wall.  I guess it's like mile 20 of a marathon.  I went from pushing hard and feeling good to extreme discomfort in a matter of seconds.  I lost all my power, my back ached, it was hard to kick.  I focused on keeping my stroke long and tried to relax but the last 2 k's were the swimming equivalent of a death march.  I passed a few other folks but really couldn't even sprint in the last few yards.  Was happy just to cross the line.

In hindsight, my plan was probably a little to aggressive given my swim training and the fact that it was my first time at this distance.  Still, a swim to be proud of and a baseline for the next one...

No comments: