Monday, March 21, 2011

CU Triathlon--MCTC Champs!

Just a quick post to recognize the outstanding college athletes I've been helping coach this season.  I was awed this weekend by the University of Colorado Triathlon Team.  My friend Mike Ricci is the head coach of the team and he has done great work preparing the kids to race.  He is clearly a role model and mentor to many (hopefully all) of them and the team is lucky to have such a talented coach.  My contribution has been substantially smaller than his, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to assist and make an impact.

This past Saturday was the regional championships at Lake Havasu, AZ.  A group of almost 50 team members traveled to the race and completely dominated!  CU swept the podium in the men's division and placed 5 of the top 7 overall.  On the women's side, CU podiumed 2nd and 3rd and took 4 of the top 7 places.  CU won both the men's and women's team titles as well as the overall team title.

As individuals and as a group, they have blown me away.  Their performance on and off the race course is very impressive.  Sure, there's a bit of stereotypical college behavior here and there, but these kids are outstanding representatives of CU and our community.  I'm honored to be a part of the program.

No comments: