Thursday, August 14, 2008

But officer, I thought the stopsigns with the white trim were optional.

Taper is about reducing volume and adding a little intensity. Hit some hard short intervals on the bike yesterday and then a fast brick run. Felt good to hit the gas a bit. I have a 4-mile "box" near the house I use for flat, fast work--has stop signs at each corner.

(Mom--stop reading now--the next paragraph isn't for you.)

I usually slow down for a "California stop" at the corners but on the last interval, I was in a groove and in enough pain already--didn't want to put the extra effort to accelerate out. It's a downhill lead-in and I was moving. I could clearly see the intersection so I just blew through the stop sign and made the turn flat out and leaning hard. Took a quick peek behind once I straightened out and a bit behind the stopsign, in the shade of a tree, I spied what I thought might be a lightbar on top of a parked car. Ugh! I spent a few seconds debating what would be the better ticket on the bike--failure to stop or speeding. Decided speeding would definitely be cooler but luckily, if it even was a cop, I was left alone to finish the workout.

(Mom--okay to start reading again.)

Came to complete stops at the remaining corners. Ride safely...

No comments: