Monday, August 25, 2008

Race report

Quite the day yesterday. Here’s the blow-by-blow.

Woke up before the alarm (shocker) after an okay night of sleep, considering. If I hadn’t had to get up and use the bathroom every couple of hours from all the hydration Saturday, it would have been more restful. Breakfast in the room and then off to the race. Everything was super well-organized and we moved through bag drops and body marking quickly. Checked the bike, put my bottles on, pumped the tires and then off to find my run bag to add in my bottles. After a trip to the porta-potty, I suited up and headed to the beach in time to see the pro start at 645a.

Did a little swim warmup—the lake definitely seemed warmer than Friday and I was on the line and ready to race pretty quickly. With a couple of minutes to the cannon, I started my heart rate monitor and the screen went completely blank. Nice. I pressed the “go” button a few seconds before we were off and just hoped it would start (turns out it did). Boom! Here we go. Sprinted out front right away and couldn’t believe how easy it was to get position. This start, with 2,200+ racers was way smoother than any Stroke & Stride (~300 racers) I’ve ever done. Got out with the fast crowd but they were too fast for me so I spent most of the first half of the swim falling back and waiting for a good group to tag along with. Found that group at about the half-way point and cruised the whole way back. Came out of the water without having worked too hard and very relaxed in just a hair under an hour. Perfect.

The volunteers were incredibly helpful guiding athletes to their bags and into the change tent. I dumped my bag and put on my shoes and helmet as my volunteer loaded up my wetsuit, cap, and goggles for me. Jogged to the bike and then out of transition feeling great. My goal for the mostly flat first third of the bike course was just to take it easy, refuel, and let the hard-core and stupid folks pass me as they sped on to their fast finishes or oblivion. I was highly disciplined and executed to perfection. The next third of the course is more difficult with a long climb followed immediately by a set of seven “rollers.” Some of the rollers are actually rollers, but a couple are outright climbs.

Burned a few calories through this section but minded my watts and stayed on plan. Was still feeling pretty fresh at the special needs pickup (about 80 miles in). My plan was to push a bit from here up to the top of the last climb—about 20 miles of uphill in total. Didn’t quite have the legs I was hoping for but put in a respectable effort and passed tons of folks who had gone out hard early. The crowds on the climbs were awesome—felt a little like what you see on TV in the big Euro bike tours. Lots of encouraging words and more cowbell than anyone could ever need (or, perhaps, want).

I was feeling ready to be off the bike by the last few miles into town but the big crowds kept my head in it and I was hopeful that I’d feel good onto the run. Again with the incredible volunteers through transition and in the change tent. As soon as I started running, I knew the legs were there and I was feeling good. Running out of town through the crowd was intense. It was three and four people deep for the first several miles and not all families of athletes—this town really supports the race. Watched my heartrate and concentrated on high cadence and good form. Ripped off a very respectable (for me at this point) sub-30 first 5k and figured if I could stick to that pace, I’d put in a low 4 hour run. Next 5k was similar and HR numbers were looking good. Slowed a little through the next 5k, and then the hills (and the rain) hit. My race plan broke the course roughly into thirds. Kilometers 16-30 are definitely very rough with long climbs and descents. I’m afraid the hills got to me and, even though I never stopped to walk, I slowed down considerably. By the time I had reached the bottom of the last big hill with 12k to the finish, my heartrate had gone through the floor and the only people I was passing were the walkers.

At this point (30k), I did a little math and realized I wouldn’t beat 12 hours if I stayed on my current pace. I decided to see whether I was actually cracked or just managing the pain and pushed the next 5k. It hurt, and not just a little, but my body responded and I felt like I was really moving (was actually beyond 10 minute pace, but felt like 8). Pushed the next 5k even harder and was flying past other runners. My final 12k was just about even with my first 12k. Coming back into town, I saw coach AJ and his wife cheering me in. Made the turn at 40k hauling ass and feeling no pain. Came around the last turn and onto the finishing strait feeling good. What a thrill to see that line!

Just as I was coming to the line, I saw Mike make the turn not quite 10 minutes out. I came across with a fist pump and a big smile—happy to be done and proud of the way I had dug in at the end. My “catcher” volunteers walked me through the finish area to what I guess I’d describe as a recovery pen, but as soon as they left, I sneaked back to the line in time to see Mike come in. Kay came in a little later followed by John, both elated. We ate a bit then went to pick up our stuff, missing Joe’s finish. Came back to the hotel for a hot shower. Got dressed and met up to head back to catch Bill’s finish. We had the race on the TV (they broadcast the finish) and as we were about to walk out, they announced Bill’s name and we saw him finish on TV. He ran a negative split and got in about 20 minutes faster than we had expected.

Everyone was happy with their races which will make the drive and flight home a lot more comfortable. We ate some dinner and then spent the last hour of the race (from 1100p – midnight) cheering in the last finishers. Although I was pretty tired, I’m really glad we stayed up. It was inspiring to see those folks trying to get in for official finishes inside of 17 hours. Some of them looked pretty good all things considered but a few needed to hit the medical tent the second they crossed the line. In any case, a fun way to finish the day—very memorable.

We’ll spend most of the day tomorrow in transit to get back in the early evening. Looking forward to catching up with everyone soon--thanks again for your support.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome job Dave! Thanks for blogging your experience - it's been fun to follow.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Very impressive performance! We're proud of you - you are truly amazing! We share your excitement and this phenomenal accomplishment! Congratulations on a job well done!!!!! We love you, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Dave
I'm so proud of you! Thanks for posting the "blow by blow" - I love hearing details of a race. You did so well. I still have to look you up on your race website, but enjoyed the commentary. It sounds like you raced REALLY smart and above all, kept your head in it and maintained a good attitude. Fantastic job. Take some well-deserved rest and then call/email for a ride before the weather gets cold!! -Whitney Henderson