Sunday, July 12, 2009

Boulder Peak

This morning was the Boulder Peak--one of the premier Olympic distance races in the country, and right here in my backyard! When I set up my schedule, this was not an important race for me this season. Add in the illness and I was just "training through" to the second half of the season--two half Ironman distance races in August and September. So I've been working out with relatively high volume in the past week and a half. I only took yesterday off (to spend most of the day at WaterWorld with the family)--not much of a taper. All that said, it always feels good to make a nice showing at the Peak and even if I'm not physically tip-top, I was mentally prepared to give it a go.

We had a relatively late wave so I was able to watch where the fast swimmers were lining up. It looked that the far right was the way to go and I was relaxed and ready as I toed the line. Off we went and it was clear early that I picked the wrong group. I swam hard to catch onto the middle group where the leaders were. It didn't take too long and quickly, I was in third position behind the two leaders who were, inexplicably, swimming shoulder to shoulder (so I had a nice smooth ride). We were swimming straight into the sun and it was nearly impossible to see the buoys. I decided just to follow along since I had no idea where the turn buoy was anyhow. Suddenly, I saw a guy go by pretty quickly on our left. One of the guys in front of me tried to follow but didn't get on. I stayed on my "ride" around the first turn--finally, we were out of the sun. We made the second turn together and were about halfway back when he started to tire a bit. I started tapping his feet to see if that might inspire him to go faster. It didn't. After a short time, he flipped on his back and started staring me down. Fine, time for me to do a little work. I went around him and figured he'd hop on, but I guess he was tired (from doing most of the work) and once I noticed a little gap, I poured it on. I only put about 10 seconds into him by the time we hit the beach but I think I had made my point (and wasted a bunch of energy...oh well). ;-) Second best swim in the age group and 42nd best swim of the day overall.

I had a little trouble wiggling out of my wetsuit in T1 but didn't lose much time. The first 8 miles of the bike are uphill, including the dreaded steep section of Olde Stage (600 foot elevation gain over 2/3 of a mile). I settled on a comfortable but strong pace up to the big hill and then just aimed to survive the climb. Steadily up and over--it has a long, gradual top once you pass the steep section--that's where I really pushed (shhh, that's my secret strategy). I was at the top of the second and final climb in just under 30 minutes--always my goal. Then through the speed zone portion of the decent (35mph speed limit) where I rested my legs and kept my speed at 34.5mph. Then it was time to push again, but this time downhill. Strong ride through Lefthand Canyon and then I pressed hard on 36 out to Nelson. Another long descent, this time with some headwind, and I pushed this section too but not too hard--the next section (on 63rd and then the Diagonal) is what generally separates the top riders from the rest and I hoped to make a mark here. I settled into a hard but sustainable effort and only got passed once the whole way back to the reservoir. At every race, I have a secondary goal on the bike to catch and pass someone riding a disc-wheel. Caught two today. I haven't checked the math, but I'm guessing I was still in the top 5 or 6 in the AG at this point--averaged 21.8mph (1:11:47). 14th best ride in the AG and 101st best ride overall.

After a decent T2, I got out on the run at what felt like a good pace. I've been racing without a watch all season--trying to focus on how I'm feeling rather than on data. I made it a little over a half-mile when I felt Coach Mike pat me on the ass as he came by. It was disappointing to be passed by him so early but he's a better runner than I am and there was no use trying to go with him. Then, over the next few miles to the turnaround, it was a parade of dudes in my AG going past me. And no one came by me slowly, all of these guys were really moving. It was never a choice to try to go with them--they were all too much. Just as I made the turnaround, I saw my friend Dan a few seconds behind me. We've had a friendly rivalry and I wanted to stay out in front of him but he's a slightly better runner than I am and with 5k to go, it seemed a stretch that I'd succeed. I poured it on and waited for him to come even. My plan was to run a negative split and I wanted to push the "third quarter" as much as I could, then come in on whatever was left (likely fumes). Well, Dan never got to me (and I never looked back to check because it wouldn't have mattered--I was maxed out). I ran scared all the way home. Though I wasn't wearing a watch, I'm sure I ran a negative split but the total run was a disappointing 47:03 (7:36 pace). Looks like the 27th "best" run in the AG and 211th best on the day. Still respectable, but I can run a 5k at Stroke & Stride in under 21 mins--I shouldn't be going 47 min for a 10k, even at the end of a race. Gotta continue to work on my run--this is not progress.

So, put it all together and I was 13th (of 150) in my AG in 2:26:24 (everyone thought the swim was long--given my time, I'd say that's pretty likely). Coach Mike was 12th and Dan was 14th. Overall, not too bad--81st overall (73rd male)--1,800 registered, not sure how many finishers. I can't complain given the illness, current training schedule, no taper, and all the time in the sun yesterday. Now onto finishing the build for 5430 Long Course in a few weeks with my eye on my end of season "A" race: Harvest Moon. If I can bring my run around, this is the year to crack 5 hours at a 70.3.

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...

I stopped wearing a watch when I run, too. I now just carry a pocket calendar...