Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Am I half the athlete I was 3 weeks ago?

Finally feeling better. Not too challenging track workout last night. Main set was 6x800 at 10k pace. Can't say I felt great, but I moved my HR up near LT and it didn't kill me. This evening, I went for a 2 hour spin to Hygiene and back. It felt like 4 hours. By the end I was fidgety and losing power; legs were definitely heavy. Oh boy. Tomorrow night, I'll give Stroke & Stride a try. Can't say I'll be "racing" but I'm going to go hard just to see what's left of me.

My health is pretty much back at this point. I'd say I'm about 95%+. An occasional productive cough here and there but sleep patterns seem to be back to normal and, while I don't feel particularly peppy, I think I'm pretty much back to good health.

I can't figure out how I picked this thing up--maybe more than one bug. Very weird that no one in my family got sick. Even weirder that neither Bill nor Patrick got sick--they spent 8 hours locked in my truck with me the day before this hit and another 7 hours locked in the same truck a week ago Sunday--one of my worst coughing days. I'm surrounded by cast iron immune systems, apparently.

So I'm making good use of my Skins tonight--feels like old times. I know I'll get through the Peak on the 12th, but I'm a bit concerned about the August and September long course races that are paid for and on the schedule. The next week or so will be key in determining whether I'll be calling Harvest Moon (Sept) an "A" race or not. Maybe my next "A" is in 2010...?

No comments: