Sunday, June 21, 2009

Convalescing for Sight

This has not been an easy few days. I came up to Taos as planned on Friday and was still feeling bad Saturday morning but wanted to try to put a few miles in just to see if that might help loosen things up and push them through. A century was on tap but I just planned to ride up to a few hours and not push at all.

We woke up to a cool, steady rain. Century cancelled. A small group of us rolled out later in the morning during a short break in the weather for about 50 miles, which included a trip to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. I was feeling okay on the bike for the first few minutes but that was about it. The Gorge was surprisingly beautiful but I cut off shortly after seeing it and came back to the hotel having logged 32 coughing, spitting, uncomfortable miles. That was my Cycle for Sight this year.

Today, the other riders will cover the 75 miles to Storrie Lake while I ride in a SAG vehicle. I coughed myself awake at about 2:30 this morning and never really got back to sleep. So, I think it would be fair to say that this trip was something less than I had hoped for. I understand that there's nothing I can do about it so I'm not really upset, just disappointed. But I'll be back next year.

No comments: