Saturday, June 13, 2009

Race ready!

Lots of logistics today. Checked every box--sitting in bed at 900p. Not bad.

Previewed most of the bike course. It's a little scary. Mostly up and down as expected but the roads are in terrible condition. Gonna hold back a bit on the bike, especially the downhills. Race plan is to try to get off the ferry as early as possible and crush the swim. (It's not really a wave start--they have timing mats on the boat. Once you cross the mat, you jump in and go--your time starts and the race is on. Sort of like a time-trial start.) So if I can get out in front of most folks, I won't be dealing with as much traffic on the bike.

Goal on the bike will just be to push the uphills, recover on the downhills, and get into T2 without incident. Run starts out uphill but I'll light it up with whatever I have left as soon as I can. Will go easy up the sand ladder and then try to hammer home--last few miles are downhill. Probably not a unique strategy overall--hopefully my swim comes through.

So taper and sleep have sucked this week, feel like I'm getting sick, a little achy from the travel, etc., etc. Often, these are signs of a good race--paradox.

Apparently, they'll be live streaming the finish line at www.tricaltv.com and/or www.tricalifornia.com. I'm number 915 if that's at all helpful.

Off to bed. Big day tomorrow.

No comments: